I wrote a piece on the Ferguson protests and the state of the "race conversation" that headlined The Guardian op-ed section this past Saturday. Here it is:
"America wiped out years of progress. Time to have 'the race conversation' for real..."
MORE TO READ
• The A.V. Club — Eric Thurm
"Who We Be is a history, yes, but one that’s very consciously located in 2014—a book that demands to be read now." / web
• San Francisco Chronicle Book Review — Reniqua Allen
"...ambitious...it would behoove anyone who has an interest in what it means to be an American to read it." / print
• Greenlight Bookstore, Brooklyn
Best Nonfiction of 2014 Pick! / web
• African-American Literary Book Club + more — Kam Williams
"'Who We Be' is the work of a new sage thinker with his finger on the pulse." / print
• Associated Press
A 2014 coffee table gift selection / print
• East Bay Express — Sarah Burke
"He began writing the book in 2008, right after Obama's election, filled with idealism and hope. But slowly, as he wrote, the reality of racial inequality in America today set in. So he took back the manuscript and rewrote almost a third of the book." / print
• CAAM Presents — Momo Chang
Talking about growing up in Hawai'i, the role of culture in shifting political opinion, and some of my favorite Asian American documentaries. / web
• The Heights (Boston College) — Jennifer Suh
"If we are all minorities, how do we begin to imagine a new majority?” / print
• Daily Gazette (Swarthmore College) — Leon Chen
"Legislative victories don’t tell humans how to live together.” / print
• Rhymes and Reasons — Ed Vogel & Eric Roberts
A wonderful interview on hip-hop, SoleSides/Quannum & my intellectual coming-of-age / podcast
• KQED Forum — Michael Krasny
An hour-long call-in interview / radio
READ EXCERPTS OF WHO WE BE!
• Walker Mag - "The Ruins of The Culture Wars"
• Konch Magazine - "Seeing America"
• N+1 - "Color Theory"
LOOKING FOR PAST INTERVIEWS AND REVIEWS?
For all of week 1's interviews and reviews, just click right here!
For all of week 2-4's interviews, click right here!
And for all the latest and up-to-datest, check out the Facebook page or follow on Twitter!